Wednesday, October 21, 2009

He Who Fails To Plan, Plans To Fail

Planning meals for the next day is a pain. My evenings are fleeting as is – no additional to do items please. Coach says I don’t have to plan, but I do have to write down everything I eat. And I have been, albeit inconsistent. I honestly find it embarrassing to write down what I eat, so I hide my food journal in a drawer at work. If I am out in the evening, I try to remember what I had and write it down when I get home.

Today was brutal. Finding healthy meal and snack options was challenging, especially when I was already hungry. It takes much longer to think of and find healthy food versus the unhealthy. Having only 5-15 minutes because I have to run back to work for a meeting also adds complexity. The icing on the cake is also trying to figure out what is real hunger versus the habitual, mindless eating that I so love to do. Oh and did I mention that healthy food isn’t as filling and I keep going for more food?

Now I know why people plan in advance. It really saves time. I expended so many thought cycles and so much energy around food today!! Tonight I did what any efficient person would do. I planned my consumption for tomorrow. It took me 10 minutes. And it is a good thing I did because now I will eat in advance of a party that I am going to tomorrow night. That wouldn’t have happened otherwise. Oh the calories I will save.

P.S.  Having a list of meal and snack ideas helps speed up the planning process.

"Always plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark." Richard C. Cushing

"It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan." Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment