Monday, November 2, 2009

Perception Changes Everything

I took a Halloween weekend hiatus and I am disappointed in myself because I ate badly. What about all the stuff I learned?! I thought I changed! Grew! I relax for just a weekend and it unravels! That’s how I feel at least.

Looking at the big picture, I was definitely mindful when I ate my main meals. I made healthy choices and tried to eat reasonable portions. I made unhealthy choices when snacking and when eating while starving (due to skipping a meal or eating the meal too late).


Notice the previous sentence states “made unhealthy choices” rather than failed, which is what I actually feel.  This brings me to the biggest lesson from this weekend:  perception. My perception was much worse than the reality. My assessment was that I am a failure who undid all the hard work and who will never lose the weight. Catastrophic much? How can we improve without blunders? Mistakes are our teachers. In actuality, I ate unhealthy snacks and I ate unhealthy when I was starving. These are important lessons for the future: eat my main meals on time and plan out my snacks.  Most important of all, manage my perception.

“If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems. And that's a big mistake.” F. Wikzek

“Making mistakes simply means you are learning faster.” Weston H. Agor

No comments:

Post a Comment